۱۳۹۹-۰۹-۰۲ در ۰۲:۱۸ #146836Jewel Lockeمیهمان
A Natural History of Quiet Waters
Swamps and Wetlands of the Mid-Atlantic Coast
by Curtis J. Badger
- Genres: nature
- Language: english
- ISBN: 9780813926186 (0813926181)
- Release date: September 1, 2007
- Publisher: University of Virginia Press
- Author: Curtis J. Badger
- Format: hardcover, 143 pages
About The Book
Although swamps today are recognized as one of the richest and most prolific natural systems on Earth, they have long held a mysterious and tenuous place in America’s history and culture. Ernest Hemingway equated them with madness and death in “Big Two-hearted River.” We have images of Humphrey Bogart covered with leeches while slogging through a swamp in the film The African Queen. In our culture, swamps have been associated with mystery and evil, and we spent generations draining, filling, and otherwise destroying them. Indeed, in the four centuries since the European colonists arrived, we have lost more than half of the forested wetlands that were native to America.
Swamps have until now received little attention, despite recent efforts to protect them. With A Natural History of Quiet Waters: Swamps and Wetlands of the Mid-Atlantic Coast, Curtis Badger takes us on a personalized trip to the swamp, providing an insightful look at the nature of these special places, and arguing persuasively that these natural systems should be protected, not destroyed.
Using such locations as the Pocomoke River and the Great Dismal Swamp as exemplars of swamps in general, Badger examines the natural history of wetlands, and also relates the role they have played in the history and culture of the mid-Atlantic coast. A great iron furnace and its surrounding village once stood in a cypress swamp along Nassawango Creek in Maryland. The Great Dismal was a safe haven for runaway slaves, and it has been the source of many ghostly tales and legends.
Although swamps have for centuries been cast in a negative light, they are wonderfully productive places, a refuge for migrating songbirds, insects, fish, animals, and rare plants. Swamps and wetlands provide us with clean water, they protect uplands from flooding, and their waters serve as a spawning ground for valuable fish and shellfish. And, Badger writes, they provide us with an island of forested wilderness, a place where one can launch a canoe and temporarily escape the irritations of the modern world.
Notwithstanding the government’s goal of “no net loss” of wetlands, swamps are still being drained, filled, and paved over each year. With this book, Badger invites us to appreciate these special places and the natural communities they support.
Online ebook A Natural History of Quiet Waters read online. FB2 book A Natural History of Quiet Waters Curtis J. Badger Android on Amazon. FictionBook A Natural History of Quiet Waters by Curtis J. Badger buy cheap on PC on Books-a-Million.۱۳۹۹-۰۹-۰۲ در ۰۲:۵۰ #146839productrealizeمیهمان
Outgunned: Up Against the NRA– The First Complete Insider Account of the Battle Over Gun Control | Peter Harry Brown | 9780743215619
- دلیل شکست پروژه های بزرگ: فقدان مهندسی سیستم
- New method of carbon capture turns CO2 into stone underground
- The first supercomputer to reach 100 petaflops
- U.S. drone industry welcomes new regulations
- Boston Dynamics introduces ‘SpotMini’ robot
- Crops grown in Mars-like soil are safe to eat
- انواع ره نگاشت یا نقشه راه – قسمت سوم
- ره نگاشت یا نقشه راه – قسمت دوم
- ره نگاشت یا نقشه راه – بخش اول
- اجرایی کردن، تفاوت اصلی بین خلاقیت و نوآوری
معرفی گروه تحقق محصول
گروه تحقق محصول به عنوان یک کارگزار و یا واسطه در جنبه های مختلف نوآوری بین دو یا چند سازمان/شرکت فعالیت می نماید. فعالیت های آن شامل طراحی، تحقق محصول،کمک به جمع آوری اطلاعات در مورد همکاران بالقوه، واسطه گری برای تعامل بین طرفین، فعالیت به عنوان میانجی یا رابط بین سازمان هایی که همکاری را آغاز کردند کمک به آنها برای اخذ مشاوره، حمایت مالی و پشتیبانی برای تحقق خروجی نوآوری است.
موضوع های اخیر
- (ePUB) Necronomicon Book Five by Andy Black — ۹۷۸۰۹۵۳۶۵۶۴۵۵
- The Rash Adventurer – PDF download ~ 9781901965063
- Afghan Enchantment by Jennifer Christiansen Simcik – PDF download
- (ePUB) Horses Like Lightning by Sienna Craig • ۹۷۸۰۸۶۱۷۱۵۱۷۶
- (MOBI) O’Mandingo! by Eric Miyeni – ۹۷۸۱۷۷۰۰۹۳۴۵۴
- (PDF) Waterborne • ۹۷۸۱۴۰۰۰۴۰۳۸۴
- (MOBI) Understanding Japan Through the Eyes of Christian Faith by Samuel Lee
- Junk News – MOBI download · ۹۷۸۱۵۵۵۹۱۶۶۹۵
- (Audiobook) Saving Mossy Point (Great Lakes Romances) — ۹۷۸۰۹۲۳۰۴۸۹۴۵
- (FB2) Crews by María Hinojosa – ۹۷۸۰۱۵۲۹۲۸۷۳۵